Friday, February 15, 2019

WIP: Just what IS comic art?

Welcome back, my fellow voyagers!
It seems I'll have the next couple of pages completed before I do my Q-n-A thread. First, though, I'd like to share something with you. I am using this blog to not only tell some stories that I've always wanted to tell, but to also do some experimentation with the artform.  I'd love for you to let me know if you think these experiments are successful or not.
On the topic of original art, I always enjoyed collecting it in the old days because you had the complete package: pencils, inks and letters (and by extension, script). But these days the lettering is done separately on computer. It is no longer part of the original art. And I miss that!
So, for this chapter, I tried something different. I printed out the dialogue on the the board in black with the blue lines to ink to approximate the old process. Now, I know this will make things harder for me. It will make the process of doing corrections slightly more difficult. And If I suddenly have an epiphany as to a better placement for a word balloon I'm screwed. But I'm glad I have the original art in this form.
So, what do you think Other Trekkers? Do you like your original art with the word balloons? Or does it matter to you? Please let me know what you think below.
Bon Voyage!
David Neal Miller


2 comments:

Maiden Voyage

Greetings, Mes Amis! And welcome to the inaugural post for my Star Trek fan-comic: Other Trek. Or what if Captain Kirk's mind was trappe...